- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ lb. Chorizo, linguiça or spicy Italian sausage, chopped into small pieces (or use bulk without skin)
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 roasted and peeled red pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped broad leaf parsley (also known as Italian parsley)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. Mussels, cleaned
- Salt and pepper
In a skillet, sauté onion slices in olive oil until lightly browned. Add garlic.
Add sausage and continue to cook until meat is nearly done. Degrease pan if necessary (spoon out excess oil).
Add white wine and roasted red peppers, chopped parsley, and red pepper flakes and continue to cook until sauce thickens slightly.
Transfer all ingredients from skillet into the cataplana and season lightly. Add mussels, close the cataplana and shake gently to incorporate the sauce and mussels. Cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes, until all mussels are open. Serve in bowls or from the cataplana.